In Florida, state law requires an attorney represent the estate in a Formal Probate but not all probates or estate administrations REQUIRE attorney involvement and yet a probate lawyer can offer valuable assistance in the process.
A probate lawyer may assist with:
- Identifying and securing estate assets
- Preparation of paperwork to collect proceeds from life insurance policies, POD accounts, and direct beneficiary assets
- Obtaining appraisals for the decedent’s real property
- Assisting in the negotiation and payment of bills and debts
- Preparing and filing documents required by a probate court
- Facilitating resolution of income tax issues by getting the needed information to a CPA
- Managing the estate checking account
- Transferring assets in the decedent’s name to the appropriate beneficiaries
- Preparation of accountings
- Making a final disbursement of assets to beneficiaries after all bills and taxes have been paid
Heidi S. Webb, Attorney at Law, serves clients all over the state of Florida with Estate Planning and Probate. She has offices in Daytona Beach and Melbourne but can meet via phone or Zoom with clients statewide. Contact her today to schedule a free consultation. Visit her page on Facebook or see what her clients are saying to learn more about Heidi at www.heidiwebb.com.