A Probate Attorney is a state-licensed attorney who works with the Personal Representative and the beneficiaries of an estate to settle the decedent’s affairs. Their involvement depends largely on how active a role the Personal Representative desires to have, the value of the assets, and if the decedent had an Estate Plan.
- A probate lawyer may assist with:
- Preparing and filing all documents required by a probate court
- Identifying and securing estate assets
- Obtaining appraisals for and/or selling the decedent’s real property
- Ascertaining and payment of bills and debts
- Determining if any estate or inheritance taxes are due and making sure those debts are satisfied
- Facilitating with obtaining proceeds from life insurance policies and other direct beneficiary assets
- Engaging a CPA to assist with filing tax returns
- Administering the estate checking account
- Transferring assets in the decedent’s name to the appropriate beneficiaries
- Preparation of an Accounting and making a final disbursement of assets to beneficiaries after all bills and taxes have been paid
Heidi S. Webb, Attorney at Law, serves clients all over the state of Florida with Estate Planning and Probate. She has offices in Daytona Beach and Melbourne but can meet via phone or Zoom with clients statewide. Contact her today to schedule a free consultation. Visit her page on Facebook or see what her clients are saying to learn more about Heidi at www.heidiwebb.com.